Monday 28 July 2014

Turkish Style

School is out and even though temperatures soared in London we headed off to Yalikavak, Turkey, for a week of relaxation.  Yalıkavak is a town near Bodrum in the Muğla province, on the Aegean coast of Turkey. 

Our first time in Turkey and we were not disappointed.  Wonderful weather, delicious and very affordable food and of course as ever, I couldn't resist sourcing stock for Cup and Saucer!

Wandering around Bodrum old town the many coloured peshtamals caught my eye, amidst the vast amount of fake designer clothing and bags.  I wasn't sure what they were used for at first - I thought maybe throws or table cloths but they are used as towels, originally in the Hammans/Turkish baths.

The different colours are used to specify which region people are from and are part of a deep cultural tradition. In some places, they are called pestamals or pestemals.

The peshtamal absorbs water as fast as a traditional towel, dries very quickly, takes up less space, is easy to carry and is therefore used as an alternative to the towel in bathrooms, pools, spas, beaches, sport facilities and for baby care. The peshtamal fabric is made of 100% cotton produced in hand-woven looms in Turkey.

I ended up buying quite a few as I couldn't decide which colour I liked the best!  They look fab in our bathroom and I will also be selling some on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/cupandsaucer-uk

No comments:

Post a Comment